Preparing for an extended fast has three components more than a few components for me:
- Determining if now is an appropriate time and place to perform it. In the past I have attempted extended fasts at bad times and in places where the conditions were not supportive.
- Cleaning out the fridge. In my experience, I have trouble overcoming this specific excuse for breaking a fast early: “I don’t want X to go to waste”.
- Come to terms with the fact that my body and mind will be abnormal over the next week.
- Decide on the purpose of the fast, as different purposes require different procedures.
- Get on the same page as my partner and invite them to participate for a portion of the fast.
- Making sure I have sea salt and filtered water.
- Pick out a good book and a reading spot. Sleeping will be sporadic over the next week.
- Remind myself that I have experience doing this and trusting that I am wise enough to stop the fast if necessary.
- Eating lots of spinach in the days leading up. I don’t know why I do this :)
- Enjoying the last meal.